ICAPS 2013 Social Dinner
13 June 2013
The building is located in the heart of downtown Rome, across from the Quirinale (official residence of the President of the Italian Republic).
It was built in 1611 by Scipione Borghese, from a project drawn up by Vasanzio and Maderno.
The interior was decorated by Guido Reni, Paul Bril, Orazio Gentileschi and other celebrated 17th centiry artists.
Over the years, the building changed hands many times.
After the Borghese family came Cardinal Guido Bentivoglio, Cardinal Mazarino and then, in 1704, the Rospigliosi-Pallavicini family.
During the 18th ownership of Palazzo Rospigliosi Pallavicini was divided between the two branches of the family and only the portion assigned to the Rospigliosi family came down to the current owners.
The building still houses two splendid private art galleries with works by Botticelli, Signorelli, Carracci and Guercino. It is still divided into several elements overlooking the central garden located in front of the main entrance, topped by an arcade and belvedere; while on the rear, the buildings added in the early 19th century create a pleasant atmosphere, with a series of small courtyards joined by pretty pathways.
An ancient lily pond in the “secret garden” of the main building, decorated with period sculpture, closes the view from the elevated arcade.
“The Casanova Quintet”
Urso Giovanni Emanuele, Corno Francese – Horn
Gianluca Tassinari, Oboe – Oboe
Alessandro Foschini, Clarinetto — Clarinet
Giulio Tiberio, Fagotto – Bassoon
Lorenzo Grossi, Pianoforte – Piano